More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Mining ERGO with Vega 56 & 64

Got that strap on 5 vegas that all run great and one card that throws occasional invalids, tested with RC 37 still got invalids so trying out RC 36 and RCDRD 11, will let you know how that runs.

@disaster1 I would add to that, turn down the memory to 880, maybe 846 and drop VDD as much as you can.

1 Like

Bought a new Vega 64 today(GPU5)… nothing special, but damn these are getting hard to find :smiley:

Another Power Cable warning before I post this.
I am using 2 8pin to 8pin psu cables please do no try this if you are using a splitter on 1 8pin cable.
2 8 pin cables can carry 300w, and to be extra safe I assume I am pulling 1.3x what hiveOS reports so theoretical “safe limit” for power reported in HiveOS would be like 230w.

This makes it interesting for 3 types of Vega 56s The Rog Strix and Red Devil have a power cap of 260, Nitro + has a 240w max.

I think 217Mh is about the max you can get with 1027 mem, I tried pushing effective core all the way up to 1580 and it was same hashrate as 1540.

amdmemtweak --CL 20 --RC 37 --RP 11 --WR 14 --CWL 8 --FAW 12 --RAS 20 --REF 65535 --RFC 248 --RRDL 6 --RRDS 3 --WTRL 9 --WTRS 4 --RCDRD 12 --RCDWR 12

Will update if I can keep it up for 24 hour with these settings, i think it will need a little more vdd

1 Like

Hi guys, just registered to thank you all, and share my little experience.

I just started using hiveos from scratch with 3 vega64, 3 different ones, a gigabyte Liquid cooled, a gigabyte goc and an asus strix.

I managed to convert the last 2 to vega 56, the liquid cooled one not yet, i read here you can flash the reference one, but there are several and i dont know witch one, anyway, i managed to push the asus one to 190mh, and gigabyte to 166mh, the non converted one gets stuck to 148MH

to the point, this consumptions, as mentioned here several times, are totally fake, so i was curious and i tested the real watts of my two converted cards.

Riser and card isolated into a separated power supply and measured, the power supply is a Bronze one (platinum is used in the rig, this one was the only one i had laying around, so some watts wasted here)

ASUS STRIX:
Hashrate:190MH
Reported consumption: 140W
Real consumption: 200W

Gigabyte GOC
Hashrate: 166MH
Reported consumption: 165W
Real consumption: 185W

I’m planning to test the vega 64, to see if the consumptions are more realistic but now i’m moving the rig, it was getting too hot where it was.

Edit: btw cards’ fan speeds are very noticeable in the wattage

2 Likes

Me podrías pasar la configuración?

Interested on your definition of too hot - your fan speeds and temps make me very jealous! Great work, and i find it funny we both arrived to the same settings / mh for the gigabyte even though i cannot find anywhere they are posted. And yes, any reference AMD (NOT branded) bios for vega 56 air cooled will work for LC, that is what i did. YMMV but I did my mod in DOS not HiveOS. I suspect their wattage draw is atrocious though

Well, I had to close all the windows on that room (a LOT of dust was getting in from outside) and I moved the rig before it was too hot. Now I have the fans at even lower speeds (I want to test the difference that makes to the wattage)

There are 3 non branded reference bios, i will take the most powerfull, 165w (seems pretty low)

BTW, If i find enough cards to fill my rig, the gigabyte one will go bye bye

1 Like

I dont have a link but there is a power cable guide out there that recommends one 6 pin for the riser and 1 6 pin with splitter for most standard AMD GPUs, but SPECIFICALLY mentioned using a total 3 6 pin minimum for vega for this reason. Uses a lot more than it says, would never used less than 3 cords total for a Vega to supply 225W. 90% sure ive seen most vega 56 bios are about 230 TDP but surprised to see yours is 260W for a 56. NOTE: To readers, he is talking 8 pin and i am talking 6 pin. Difference between server PSU and ATX PSU. Im not worried about HiveOS as it really cant have drivers crash, but if I use Windows I will likely have to check bios TDP or up to 2 8 pins minimum.
EDIT: Reason I am more worried about Windows is your overclocking tool can crash while the miner doesnt, and cards will default to pulling TDP over taxing your cables. Thats a safety hazard.

2 Likes

Same for the gigabyte. One other huge drawback is they crash very easily, and usually mine gets a thread stuck and can only be reset by a hard reset. So more power, less stable, and lower hash. Now, on windows, i have READ that you can use W8200 (vega 56 professional) drivers and it makes them run much better. Havent tried it yet but will soon though. I am not proficient enough in HiveOS to know how to do that there.

1 Like

Did you manage to get it more stable? I followed exactly what you put down and I was able to get it to 165.1mhs. Occasionally it drops to 150mh, does this happen to you? My Nvidia cards never flutate that much on hiveos.

Also, completely nub question, but vvd = memory controller voltage on hiveos right? I’ve always mined in windows until now.

fluctuations are indeed normal; it depends on the miner if they display it correctly or not

vdd is core voltage
mvdd is memory voltage

An update to my wattage testing:

I was wrong, fan speed does not take a bite on the wattage.

I tested de Liquid Cooled one, and compared it stock and vega 56 flashed. Same power supply used, Corsair Bronze

ASUS STRIX:
Hashrate:190MH
Reported consumption: 140W
Real consumption: 200W

Gigabyte GOC
Hashrate: 166MH
Reported consumption: 165W
Real consumption: 185W

Gigabyte Vega 64LC:
Hashrate: 148MH
Reported consumption: 137W
Real consumption: 190W

Gigabyte Vega 56LC (flashed):
Hashrate: 190MH
Reported consumption: 146W
Real consumption: 212W

Note1: same OC as the asus, i will fine tune it later, i just want to test wattages
Note2: after the conversion to 56, same 64 OC settngs, same real wattage but 176mh

1 Like

I have a theory that the risers pull 20-30 watts for two reasons
I have one server PSU that powers risers and GPUs.
On a different rig ATX powers all the risers and the server PSU just powers 4 cards. I monitor the wattage on those server PSU and when I move cards from the one with risers to the ones with out seemed like roughly 20-30 watt difference
I never put 3 risers on a single sata, I do 2 risers per :smiley: , but my buddy always runs 3 risers per sata and burns out a riser like once a month. (SATA power cables rated at 57w)

The fact that that your Gigabyte is off by 20w makes me think I am right :smiley:

1 Like

Note that a bronze PSU will be about 10% higher wattage than plat PSU (85% efficiency vs 94%). So taking 10% off your numbers would help normalize to server PSU or typical miner PSU. Thanks for the numbers, LC much higher as I was suspecting. Gigabyte air seems to report fairly accurate actual power demand, accounting for efficiency loss. My rule of thumb has been 200W per vega and that seems to hold true here.

1 Like

Risers can pull 75W. Sata rated for 57W. So even one riser on a SATA is bad. They may pull 20-30W by default but if push comes to shove in demand theyll draw more. Risky using them period. Molex cables about $5 and enough evidence out there they can supply 75W minimum. Thats what i use for ATX one riser per cable. Server PSU non-issue of course. The gigabyte being off 20W is because of PSU efficiency loss. Card wants 100W, bronze PSU needs to draw 115W ish to actually supply 100 after loss.

1 Like

One anecdotal evidence: my 5700s draw about 140W wall. Server PSU i provide 2 75W connectors, one to riser and one to 8+6 pin input on a splitter. It gets 75W through the 8+6 input and has to get remaining 65W through the riser. Already over 57W there.

1 Like

Interesting I never thought to use the cables that way, I’ve always built to put minimal power through the riser and tune the cards so they pull less than the power cables are rated at. Good to know I could pull some extra watts through the riser If I go over the power cables limits… if I stop sharing cables for risers lol.

Hmmm… Damn, my PSU blew last night and took my SSD with it. I had to temporarily use a USB to keep the mining rig going with HIVEOS.

When I rebooted, my cards were all fine, but my VEGA 64 FE won’t go higher than 151 mh, whereas previously it would get to 165.1. It’s also very unresponsive to different changes on HIVEOS I can change the core and the memory by 200-300 and the mh doesn’t move…

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks

Damn! What is the new PSU you are running now? Could be not giving is as much power as the last set up if the hash dropped and OCs wont improve performance past a certain point, 64s are power hungry.
What PSU was it that blew up, any idea how much it was pulling?

The PSU was an old 750W. I’ve bumped it to an 850W now.
Hmmm… Maybe I’ll try plugging it into a different slot on the mobo…
I was hoping it was the cause I was using a USB rather than a SSD.

could be USB for sure ive seen alot of really strange issues fixed when people switch to SSD guess we will know soon