More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RX6800 - Efficient Overclocking

No I’m using a ssd for hive os and I’m not doing CPU ming as well. I’m using a default flightsheet for ethermine/gminer. Also I’m using two 1000watt PSU’s.

I’ve just tweaked the OC a litte bit but my sysload is still high and rising.
Core Clock: 1350
CV: 680
MCV: 800
MC: 1075
MV: 1300
SoC Frequenz: 900

Maybe its a riser problem after all!?

after hours of debugging with: downgrade, fresh install, with one card, with all cards, with no cards, riser replacement etc. I think I found the solution.

It seems that there is a problem with my intel chip and the mainboard bios (ASRock skylake gpe6F). I came up with it because “top” showed me in the terminal, that a kworker process used 60-80% resources. I don’t use asrock but a btc board but it seems to be the same problem.

After applining this to my rig, the load is since some hours under 0.5
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=223180

I will also write a new thread with this. I think this could be very usefull for other users!

1 Like

Glad you found a solution to your problem but any cpu load issues should not come from GPUs. You can tell by stopping the miner.

I see you have low temps around 58. Mine is always at 70. Are you setting the fan at 75% all the time or is it controlled by autofan ?

yes you’r right! First I thought that it might be a problem with OC/undervolting or the risers in combination…

I’ve set 75% but its overriden by the autofan settings. It runs almost at the min of 33%. My room is usually very cold and unheated. But now I have around 22-23 degrees. The cooling seems to work well but the outside temperature is around 7 °C.

But I cannot tell how this turns out after the first days of 24/7…

wow youre room is damn hot with 32-35 celsius haha

1 Like

These are my settings running for my Sapphire 6800xt for reference.
64MH @ 126W

So I have this really odd situation where my Sapphire 6800xt runs perfectly on my hiveOS rig (64MH@126W 44C and 62Cmem) . No Bios mod

But my gigabyte 6800xt simply refuses to run at all…in the best case scenario ,it simply sits there without hashing at all with idle power draw and mostly just causes the rig to crash in a few minutes (miner crash and high load averages)

The same card runs on a windows rig (same riser and PSU…so its not the riser or cables) under Minerstat (64.4MH @ 155W). Power is higher since I have not bios modded it and Windows does not allow me to reduce the voltage below 881mV.

I got tired of trouble shooting it on my own ( dozens of reboots and tweaks later) and simply run it on a separate machine for the time being.
Any ideas?

• do you have checked the logs? are there any errors/notices?
  • have you tried an old version of hive os? e.g. the 0.6-203?

in generall I would lower the OC that you get ~62mh and only ~100-120W. However this also depends on your electricity price. You should do the math.

Does anyone of you have an idea, why GPU7 of my cards needs 20% more power? It is identical to GPU8 and also has the same settings. Is this a bug from hiveos, silicon lottery or should I change someting?

1 Like

I also have the highest consumption on my penultimate card and have no explanation for it.

I was not sure if it was a card issue so thats why I ran it on another machine to test.
In HiveOs, the miner would crash with a miner Error message and then the load average would go very high before a self reboot.

I suspect that the Gigabyte needs the bios mod to run stable at lower voltages…the sapphire was able to run at the low voltage without any mods. I did not want to fry all my cards experimenting with this one so I will tweak it separately and understand the issues first.

hm… thats interesting. Did you ever switch cards and look if the voltage stays at the penultimate card? I will try this when I’m going to relocate the rig.

Hey guys! I have been mining for like 3 days now and I am really new to this. Here are my hashrate and temps. If you guys see anything I can improve I would appreciate it! I’m using Gminer

do you be chance have link to the Asrock 6800 BIOS version you’re using?

Found it! Who knew doing a google search for that particular BIOS version would work…

You use too much W for the 6800 XT

2 Likes

Hi,

Anyone tried to flash custom bios on AMD reference card again after I brick mine? or it’s useless or not needed anymore since the beautiful script and recent drivers/kernel update?

The best I can do with my 6800s are rn =>

NBminer one =>

Gminer one=>

I think it’s not that bad when I see others result here. but if I can push to 65 I’m not against it xD

I think 62-63 MH/s is the best we can get for the time being. Hope the future brings 70 Mh/s. :wink:

You got any values for SoC and SoC VDD?

Here is the set of settings

3 Likes