More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

280x/7950/7970s wont hash

Hi guys. Trying to hook up a couple 280x/7950/7970s on an intel board. Other cards will hash on it without issue. When I hook any of these cards up even by themselves, they won’t hash or get a gpu hangup error. I’ve tried different combos of known good risers with no luck. Also tried multiple preloaded versions of claymore within hive and still no luck. Currently trying each card by itself in the mobo and nothing. Am I missing something obvious?

Probably too old and unsupported by the AMD drivers in HiveOS, see the thread about making RX550’s work, maybe you need to do something similar

By the way were you able to use these cards with Windows or some other Linux distro before? I have a bunch of 7950’s leftover from BTC mining years ago, wonder if they’re still good for anything :tired_face:

hi. Have as many 280x managed to run these cards? who can help? in Windows work, but it is necessary Hive OS

This is because HiveOS is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and AMD does not provide OpenCL drivers for that version. I already tried a couple of things but nothing worked.
The cards itselfget recognized by the system but the miners will stay at 0.00 Hashrate as OpenCL is not working.

A workaround could be an “older” HiveOS version based on Ubuntu 15.xx as AMD provides drivers for this version. Does anybody know if there is an older version available?

Also a solution could be to create HiveOS based on another Linux version like Debian. Debian 9 is LTS until 2020 and should also have the correct drivers available for 280/HD79xx cards.

To be honest for me it is a pitty as I wanted to move all my rigs to Hive but I am still using a lot of old AMD cards that I need to have supported.

Too bad :frowning: After multiple tests on HIVEOS I love this OS I wanted to migrate all my rigs from SMOS but I also have R9 … The team I would not work on a distribe who support?

IMHO there some troubles to support R9 and other old cards
If we made support to this cards we also:

1. need to have these cards for testing and verification
  2. need to support not one, but several distributions, which ultimately complicates the product
  3. need additional time

I have managed to get an R280X working with HiveOS. What I had to do was add the following lines to the /hive/bin/miner script file to set up the correct environment variables:

export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1;
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100;
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1;
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;

1 Like

cultiv8ed
January 28
I have managed to get an R280X working with HiveOS. What I had to do was add the following lines to the /hive/bin/miner script file to set up the correct environment variables:

export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1;
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100;
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1;
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;

Hi, I also have some rigs on the R9 280X. But I do not understand Linux at all. You can throw off the rim of your system, or paint how and what to do to make the R9 280x work for Hive.
p.s. I really hope for your help.

Привет, у меня тоже есть несколько ригов на R9 280X. Но я в линуксе совсем не понимаю. Можешь скинуть оброз своей системы, или расписать как и что сделать чтобы R9 280x работали на Hive.
p.s. очень надеюсь на твою помощь.

Заставить работать старые карты можно только собрав систему на базе Ubuntu 14.04 (так как c более поздними версияит проблемы с установкой нужных драйверов) + добавить рабочий материал из HiveOS в этом случае заведется. Но если вы в линуксе новичок, то для вас это будет то еще приключение.

Where exactly in miner file I should put those variables.

Right at the start should do it. It is worth noting that I haven’t managed to get claymore 11 working yet on 280 cards so any version of hive above 0.5-26 may not work.

I placet them at the start of the file, still no good.
Now I’m using ubuntu densktop 16.04 and i also have no luck with claymore11 plus 280x. Calymore 10.2 work’s fine: GPU0 24.950 Mh/s. But claymore11 was uploding DAG file for more than 3minutes and out od nowhere state’s that GPU is out of memory.

Just checked now. I put the variables under the RIG_CONF line

nice :slight_smile:

[quote=“MisterSwiffer;276”]This is because HiveOS is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and AMD does not provide OpenCL drivers for that version. I already tried a couple of things but nothing worked.
The cards itselfget recognized by the system but the miners will stay at 0.00 Hashrate as OpenCL is not working.

A workaround could be an “older” HiveOS version based on Ubuntu 15.xx as AMD provides drivers for this version. Does anybody know if there is an older version available?

Also a solution could be to create HiveOS based on another Linux version like Debian. Debian 9 is LTS until 2020 and should also have the correct drivers available for 280/HD79xx cards.

To be honest for me it is a pitty as I wanted to move all my rigs to Hive but I am still using a lot of old AMD cards that I need to have supported.[/quote]

I keep hearing contradictory info on Tahiti not being supported … What about Tahiti is not supported in Ubuntu 16.04? I know fglrx is not supported, but amdgpu supports 7900 series, according to the amdgpu.ids file in HiveOS (/opt/amdgpu-pro/share/libdrm/amdgpu.ids):

“6798, 0, AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
679A, 0, AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
679B, 0, AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series”

Can someone help me understand how its not supported? I admit, I have not been able to get it to work, but I think I lack an understanding of the obstacle.

1 Like

i am such a newb, but i need this to work for my hd7950’s.
can you supply the code and method for me to do this?
thanks in advance

1 Like

same question, can you explain how to pass this variables?

1 Like

I was able to get my R7 370 cards working with hive. I just had to modify the “Claymore-z” script in the /hive/bin folder . Just remove the # on the export commands. And exclude the ones below them.

Only problem is how do I get this to persist after upgrade or be system wide? Without the commands, Claymore see’s the card but gets 0 hash.

Any luck with 280x?

New Claymore 11.2 is out maybe it will run corectly.