More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Asus RX 5700 XT Memory temperature

Hi, my first post :slight_smile:
I recently bought an Asus Rog Strix 5700 XT (3 fan) model, and I am trying to use it to do eth mining.
I want to know about the memory temperature. It is has gone over 100 to about 104 celsius, and shows red on the screen.
The GPU temp is around 50s, so no issue there and fan is running at 50%
I also modded the GPU, no difference. I put a big fan in front of the GPU, so it is just under 100 now for the memory temp.

Should I be concerned about the memory temperature being so high? I get conflicting views on the internet, some saying it is irrelevant and others saying it should not be that high.
Below is the picture of my current settings, using a modded BIOS:

1 Like

Hey, Your fan speed is low, try increasing it with “Autofan settings” in top “Actions” bar. Make it blow 100% speed if noise is not an issue.

Edit: My Micron GDDR6 gpu stays at 90C and I feel safe, But at a lower hashrate.

Hi, I set it to 100% min fan speed. Now it applied it for all the GPUs in the rig, which is overkill.
It does not seem to make much of a difference. See below.

I think, 92-94C will be as low as it will go for Micron memory type AFAIK, else you will have to compensate on your hashrate.

1 Like

Thanks, I just don’t understand why this card with such a gigantic heatsink can still have the mem temp so high. Would a thermal pad mod lower the temp even more?

With new settings i achive that:

if someone want contact me, there is my topic:

1 Like

Check your email, subject says “BIOS MOD HiveOS Forum”

2 Likes

i have the same cards 2x, i set autofan to mem temp 76 and they rotate at 56%. maybe your thermal pads are crap or your sourround temp is too high. use air condition and use autofan.
75 is the limit for memory temp for long term usage.

same issue here,until an hour ago i had only 2 gpu s that where around 96,i rebooted and after that the hell break up…all my gpu s are 90+

How can you get vram temperature? I mean the 2 temperatures on one card.

Thanks!

one is gpu core and the other is mem temp, Navi suported.

I also have more or less the same problem on some of them (no idea why the 4 are msi Mech)
These are soft Bios Moded (timings and power plan) still not enough

My last resort will be buying Alphacool Eisblock Aurora Backplate GPX-A AMD Radeon RX 5700/5700XT Sapphire Pulse | GPU - Backplates | GPU - Water Coolers | Refrigeração a água | Aquatuning Portugal because Mech has plastic backplate and metal backplate might help dissipate a little bit more.

thanks

my card is rx580, not navi. so sad…

Same issue for my ASUS card too, non-XT 5700. I have a BIOS mod installed for mining.
All the other RX580 from ASUS are running perfectly cool.

It looks for me like a design issue of the hardware!? Are there any options, can we reduce maybe with special settings? Has anyone experience? But seems to be similar issue also on other vendors…

How can you modding your BIOS?

Did you solve this problem?

Not solved yet. I am still running at high temp, see settings below. Seems like Phoenixminer has a setting now where you can set the memory junction temperature, I tried it but did not work on version 5.6c i think it was. Maybe you can also test it and see if it makes a difference :slight_smile:

Hi mate, you just need to put 2mm washer under your 2x screws which are aligned with power input plugs on back cover. You can thank me later :+1:

1 Like

Hello ksukhin, I also need some help with RX5700 BIOS modding, could you please help me or guide me? This is my email address
[email protected]
Thanks a lot!

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. But I thought better to just give you an actual answer :wink:
So first the Asus Strix sadly has horrible VRAM cooling… If you take it apart you can see that Asus is just cooling the super hot GDDR6 Memory with the cards base plate which is totally underkill… I did find a trick to help with better temps and that is to get the Memory Voltage down as far as possible. On Micron you can most of the time get easily down to 1300mv (my best card can do 1290mv) but for Samsung I never really had a card where I could get it below 1350mv. Also Samsung runs a lot cooler.

The best cooling on Memory for the 5700/5700xt has definitely Sapphire (Pulse or Nitro) and even the AMD Reference cards, those cards do run a lot cooler then any other card I tested… Also stay away from Msi, they basically completely screwed up.

2 Likes

Hi, do you have a picture of this? I put washers on 4 GPU screws where the springs are. It made no difference.