More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Changing HDMI output resolution

I bought a small 3.5 inch display wich is mounted to my rig and connected to the primary GPU (rx5600 xt) via hdmi. The system outputs the video signal but due to the size and resolution of the display it is unreadable. How do I change the default output resolution or font size?
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue.

I’m having a similar issue. My KVM’s can’t handle the resolution coming from the rigs. It seems to be more of an ubuntu thing though so I’m going to try going down that google road.

I booted into GUI mode where you can change the resolution and open a full screen terminal. not very elegant but works

I was able to solve this issue. Basically, you need to force KMS resolution at boot time via the grub config.

Edit the grub config file at /etc/default/grub.

Find the line where GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT is set. There will be many options set in this string already. Don’t delete any of the existing options but append a kms config with your desired resolution, color depth, and refresh rate. For example, for 32 bit color, 800x480 resolution, at 60Hz:

video=800x480-32@60

Next you will update the GRUB_GFXMODE line to the same resolution and color depth (notice this syntax is different than for the kms config):

GRUB_GFXMODE=800x480x32

Finally, make sure you set GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX:

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Save and exit the file, then run update-grub and reboot.

You should see decreased resolution that looks good on your small display. I found that the monospaced font had visual artifacts at 800x480 which is my 5" display’s native resolution, so I upscaled to 1200x720 and no longer have artifacts. While the text is smaller than I’d like, it is still perfectly readable and much better than the 1900x1080 it was trying to output originally.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.