More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Compatibility for R9 290/290X with Overclocking?

I have 6 GPU’s (3x R9 290 and 3x R9 290X)
Will it work with Hive OS and will I have full functionality of Overclocking and Undervolting features?

On simplemining R series OS it works, I can overclock but not undervolt.

Undervolt is important for these cards because they draw a lot of electricity.

Please let me know.

You can make them work, you need to add the stuff below just under the RIG config lines in /hive/bin/miner

export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1;
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100;
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1;
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;

so in my case the file looks like this:

RIG_CONF="/hive-config/rig.conf"
WALLET_CONF="/hive-config/wallet.conf"
export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1;
export GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=100;
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1;
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;
export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100;

#[ -t 1 ] &&
. colors

I’ll be watching to see about OC’ing; I have a 280 and a 270 I would like to tweak a bit

Yeah that addition to config will help make the cards work I agree. I hate windows really want to install Hive but i want to be sure overclocking and undervolting options work.

If you do try it with your 280 and 270, please update me on if it works. Thanks!

I added the above the the config and it’s made no difference. fan controls not working, no error on the miner… it mines but no fan control at all. Cards contstantly overheating and throttling.

i have a rig with a 280x and a 290x in it, ive not been able to tune the cards at all.

can anybody confirm r9 280/290 series overclocking? cause no mateer waht i set up in OC - freq is still the same for my rig.

like i said, ive never been able to get it to work, so i use the smos for the amd rig instead.

Same. Im running several HD 7950 gpus.
After mentioned modifications…
Hash,yes.
OC, no.
vbios download,yes.
vbios flash/upload, no.
Fan control, no.

You may try to mod bios of GPU. There you can set up cc mc fun control and voltage.

thats what i did, however if you dont know for sure rock-solid frequencies for each card, it could became nightmare to tune your cards without OC option.

Yes you are right. But R9 280x are so universal between different developers that i manage to find the nice spot between power drow and efficiency.

tried to add this in /hive/bin/miner but i have errors on my r9 270x
:frowning:

Would this help with overclocking rx580s?