More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Curl: option --compressed: the installed libcurl version doesn't support this

Hi, when I try:
root@[my_machine]:~# curl --compressed
It gives my an error: “curl: option --compressed: the installed libcurl version doesn’t support this”
I need to use --compressed parameter with curl for “n” purpose [Node version management (GitHub - tj/n: Node version management)].
When I remove and install curl error is gone, but… whole machine lost connection to hive api. What can I try next? Thanks.
PS. Must be “n”, nothing else. I am trying to run Chia Blockchain on Hive Machine, and one of the requirements is “n”

I was wondering if it is possible to run a CHIA harvest node on Hive machines.
Are there any plans to make this available?

It was problem with building GUI because of custom curl package in Hive. I figured out how to make it work anyway:

$: apt remove curl

[also removes package called “hive”, so if you try this - don’t freak out, because rig will be marked as offline for now]

$: apt install curl

[Standard one linux package with --compressed option available. This is time when you can bulild chia gui: ./install-gui.sh]

$: apt install hive

[“breaks” --compressed option in curl again, but HiveOS stability seems back to normal and you have working chia gui]

Works for me.

How did you run chia GUI as root?

Did you created another user? can you share those commands?

I think I have the same issue as danielvm. When I try to run electron

npm run electron &

as the root default user, it gives me an error message “Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported.”

I’ve followed this scrip bellow:

#install Python 3.7 for ubuntu 18 ++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++
sudo apt-get install python3.7-venv python3.7-distutils python3.7-dev git lsb-release -y

#install curl
apt remove curl

apt install curl

apt install hive

#Install NMP
sudo apt-get install nodejs-dev node-gyp libssl1.0-dev

sudo apt-get install npm

#Update apt packages
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Sudo apt-get autoremove

#Checkout the source and install
git clone https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain.git -b latest --recurse-submodules
cd chia-blockchain

sh install.sh

. ./activate

#The GUI requires you have Ubuntu Desktop or a similar windowing system installed.
#You can not install and run the GUI as root

chmod +x ./install-gui.sh
./install-gui.sh

cd chia-blockchain-gui
npm run electron &

and got the same “Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported.” at the end

any suggestions?

Just create a new user.
// Not sure if -m is needed, its gonna create a home directory for the user.
useradd -m chia_user

Login as the user.
// -s to select the select the shell
su -s /bin/bash chia_user

Start the GUI.
npm run electron &

Be sure to be in the venv by executing ‘. ./activate’ before starting the GUI, otherwise it will tell you to execute the command in a venv.

That worked just fine for me.
Thank you very much! <3

1 Like

Hey Emete, could you tell me the complete step by step you followed to get everything working ?

Sure:

Create new user:

adduser (user)
usermod -aG sudo (user)
su (user)

Update aptitude and install python required in old distros.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python3.7-venv python3.7-distutils python3.7-dev git lsb-release -y

Clone Chia repository, add execution privileges and install:

sudo git clone https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain.git -b latest --recurse-submodules
sudo chmod -R 777 chia-blockchain/
cd chia-blockchain
sudo sh install.sh

Activate python environment

. ./activate

Install GUI (uninstalling temporary curl)

sudo apt remove curl
sudo apt-get install curl
sudo chmod +x ./install-gui.sh
./install-gui.sh

Updated NPM and reinstall HIVE package removed previously when removing CURL

npm install -g npm
sudo apt install hive

Run GUI as user

cd chia-blockchain-gui
npm run electron &

Suggestions:

• Install HiveOS over a high capacity media as syncing the blockchain node takes some GBs. (don´t forget to resize partition or the default 8GBs partition won’t be enough)

Regards!

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.