More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

How to undervolt really low?

@brnfex please can you assist with example of the amd-oc file possibly your amd-info after changes made? I made all the relevant changes and it pushed my consumption up not down, assume has something to do with fact my bios applies MDPM - 2 for any memory clock under 2100 for strange reason. Not sure my power can be brought down but always looking to improve.

Currently getting

30.50 MH for average 80w per card - Gigabyte RX570 4GB Hynix memory

@Fez29
This changes often has no effect on RX 5xx series. It’s for RX 4xx series

[quote=“HaloGenius;3803”]@Fez29
This changes often has no effect on RX 5xx series. It’s for RX 4xx series[/quote]

It should work on all RX 470/480/570/580 series (tested it myself on probably 10 different types of cards), but some cards don’t report much difference in the power draw while actually decreasing the temperature by 5-10 degrees.

MDPM 2 is normal for 500-series cards, they have an additional memory power state.
This is my amd-oc file, I’ve put comments on few more lines for safety - you could download it and just replace yours.

Note that most 500-series work in the 800-900mV range while the 400-series are 850-950mV and it varies on the chip’s quality and general product line.

with MDPM 1 + mem clock 5xx series downvolted by HiveOS from the box

Anyone know if the HiveOS team is looking into this power draw issue in a future update? (Possibly adding a fix like brnfex suggested).

I’d really like to know that as well…

I’ve reported the solution to one of the admins last week, hope they’ll apply it soon.

@brnfex
Chat admin - it’s not quite part of HiveOS dev team (usually they like volunteers users ))) ) . But I can calm you down - DevTeam know about it.

Thank you brnfex/givo, using 65w less on a 7 cards rig, for same hashrate, and, most important for me, less heat (about 3-4 degres less per card)

Humm, fan control seems to not kick-in now and some cards gets really hot. Will have to check later

@HaloGenius, awesome! :slight_smile:
@Bagster, it works, make sure you copied the third line correctly. You could also do it like this (on a terminal):

for i in {0..<last card>}; do wolfamdctrl -i $i --set-fanspeed 60; done

@brnfex
Send me in PM your Hive login. I’m try to talk with CEO about small prize for you :wink:

Thanks for the idea. Now in Hive from 0.5-54

1 Like

Hello guys.
Im new on the board and really new HiveOS.
With my nvidia cards it was really easy and the best OS i ever saw.

Now i want to try out a 8x AMD 570 rigg.
Im a little bit worried about the custom BIOS flashing and specially with the “code” you guys posted.
So i have a few questions :smile:

1. Is it possible to flash the cards via Hive OS? Or do i need windows?
  2. Where do i insert the code posted in this thread?
  3. Is there maybe somewhere a tutorial for Hive OS?

Greetings and thanks in advance

Had to revert amd-oc due to multiple hangs and numerous Red Devil RX570’s and 580’s going to 0% for fan speed. Also, receiving ios_stream::clear errors from amd-info with the updated amd-oc, and manually attempting to set the fan speed using wolfamdctrl -i $gpu --set-fanspeed 80 would show it changed the gpu speed, but upon checking, it was still at 0.

Try updating to 0.5-54, it has the patch applied. 0% fan speed might be caused by the card freezing from too high memory overclock or too low undervolt - a reboot should solve it.

@brnfex - you misunderstand. 0.5-54 IS the issue. It’s even noted in this very thread that it causes the 0% fan speed and noted on FB too. I had already updated and had to revert this change due to the issues it causes. This “fix” needs more testing before mass deployment and should be reverted imo.

Whereas, 0.5-53 is stable and earlier versions of amd-oc have been stable as well for months for me with conservative OCs.

Same here with a powercolor 570:

wolfamdctrl -i 6 --set-fanspeed 77

Failed to read a fan sysfs entry for GPU 6.

Reboot failed to fix it, so I’ll have to check what in new OC code is causing this.

Also, rebooting it just makes the situation worse on 0.5-54. Instead of just 1 card going to 0% fan speed, it’ll sometimes go to 2-3 cards. And out of an 8-10 card rig, it’ll swap around on each reboot. Anyways, hopefully we can get this reverted or a legacy and experimental option of amd-oc versions in Hive for those of us experiencing issues with the updated amd-oc.

Do all of your cards are powercolors? My only card with this problem out of 11 is my powercolor red dragon. Maybe we can try to find the root cause with this hint.