More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

How to undervolt really low?

@Bagster
most probably you don’t have the offset in vbios, none of the anoraks vbios has it.
you can read more about the voltage offset technique, a.k.a. Gup Stergs BIOS surgery :slight_smile: , here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5qFEIMYTs

@HaloGenius
take it as a interim solution until AMD will finally introduce the vcore voltage settings through the linux sysfs.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Voltage-Sysfs
it started to appear in linux 4.17 kernel, i’ve tested it. it works, but there are some bugs in the code, hopefully it will be usable in 4.18 kernel.

In v0.5-55 this is called “aggressive oc” now. Enabled with a checkbox in AMD OC dialog. By default there will be old OC script.

Great ! Thanks.
I just bought a AMD 570 rigg because the problem is solved now.

Just two questions:
1)Is there somewhere a tutorial how to custom BIOS upgrade an AMD 570 with Hive OS?
2) Can i save my “original” BIOS with Hive OS as well?

@jeffo
1.) program your card with modified vbios
/hive/sbin/atiflash -p

2.) save your stock vbios
/hive/sbin/atiflash -s

@hiveos
is see no aggressiveness in the new undervolt/oc technique as long as users don’t set the VDDC/VDDCI values too low.

my recommendations for voltage settings for Polaris RX5xx GPUs:
VDDC

• ethash, core clock: 1050-1100 MHz
  • 800-850mV
  • cryptonight v7/heavy, core clock: 1150-1200MHz
  • 850-900mV

VDDCI

• ethash, core clock: 1050-1100 MHz
  • 800mV
  • cryptonight v7/heavy, core clock: 1150-1200MHz
  • 850mV

Memory clocks (depending on your memory strap mods)

• Elpida 1900-2000 MHz
  • Hynix 1950-2050 MHz
  • Micron 2100-2200 MHz
  • Samsung 2050-2150 MHz (with ubermix)
4 Likes

@dewminer76, thanks for the recommendations!

After update version 0.5-56 i have lower powe usage but i have some strange problem.
If i start miner with Aggressive undervolting i get lower power usage
BUT if i stop miner on boot and then wait a 30 sec start it later i get even extra more lower power usage 50W less on rig!

How can i add in script so HiveOS start miner (claymore) later examle: sleep 30 ?

@hiveos @brnfex @halogenius
For some reason my Rigs dont like this new Aggressive Overclocking, I get lower values on the first 3 cards but last 2 dont take it even though the MDPM reports as = 1, Left it for like 30 minutes and am on the latest version of Hive. (0.5-60 AND 0.5-53 image) Old AMD-OC works fine for me since I had my GPU BIOS edited to make the cards adopt MDPM 1 if I set it to 2100 Mhz on mem. But cannot run MEM clocks lower than that ever if I want low power usage. Currently on 2100 MHZ due to MDPM 1 taking effect, I get 80 watts, if change to 2050 Mhz on mem it goes to MDPM 2 and pushing 90+. Any particular reason it would affect some of the cards and not the others.

Thanks for all the hard work on this guys,

I’d suggest you to revert to a stock bios only with timings applied and do the overclock on the dashboard. Nobody will give you a proper support when your bios is so heavily modded.
You could modify the script to apply the memory clock to all mem P-states, but that’s really patching up a misconfigured bios.

Dumb question, how do you set these exact settings in the HIVE gui?

Its down to the Default Core and MEM clocks set in the BIOS, I get exactly the same power usage by using Aggressive undervolting, as opposed to setting it in the BIOS, I have found the aggressive undervolting to sometimes give issues on some RIGS that I maintain for other people where it seems to not apply the Aggressive undervolting on 1 card on the RIG and requires a miner restart to apply the aggressive undervolting, So I will stick to setting it in the BIOS and if I need to lower it I will adjust the BIOS accordingly.

Thanks for the assistance

How do u mean? If I understand correctly, directions are below:

Go to Rigs page and select applicable RIG.
Then select the Big Buttion that says AMD OC.
Then input the Clocks and Voltages for each card with a space between each value, there is a section on the right hand side of the block you are inputting data advising you which card you are currently “working” on, once complete say apply,
If you want to save the setting the select save and then you can apply the OC profile by selecting it on the wallet you are using (Right at the bottom on the wallet when you edit it)

Hello, is this possible to use with current HIVEOS 0.6-49?

Hi Givo, I am unable to find the mentioned script. Could you please assist? Thanks in advance!

Nowdays, this is implemented in HiveOS. You just need to use “Aggressive undervolting” in Overclocking.

Thanks, I clued that out in meantime.

From the web interface, i can change clocks and voltages.

!

But from SSH, with amd-info command, i dont see voltages changing.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 at 12.11.54|689x109

What is the issue here? GPUs are Polaris.

Hello, I’m having exactly the same issue of @ors_86, only with RX 570, and already made the BIOS MOD with the PolarisBiosEditor one click tool

Hello @Leinadobol, i changed to SimpleMiningOS and issue does not perstists, i can undervolt with success, without changing anything to bios.