More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

MSI 3080 Gaming X - PL locked at 209W

Well, everyone has their own ways of overclocking and undervolting their hardware. If you do a -200 for example you are setting the core clock to whatever he driver or the card decides and reduce it by 200. When you set it to a clock like in my case 1155 have os will set the core clock to 1155Mhz which means its static and won’t change. I personally thinks this helps with a very stable hashrate and thats why i don it but it may be different for different cards.

If one undervolts a card and the card decides to lower the core clock or when it fluctuates a fair that can result in invalid shares when one sets it to as specific core it just ensures the core is not going to draw more power and that leaves the memory to be in a stable state incase the core draws too much because of a boost which can lead to heating and in that case vram will not have to compensate for the power deficiency.

I am not very good at explaining but if you think of the power as a pool and have two resouces using it the that being the core and VRAM one draws too much performance on the other will to degrade.

Now this only works if you know what is the best value for your hardware, set the core clock to low and you will loose hashrate and increase your power usage set to high and it will not have much effect if its not possible to reach in the set power limit.

From my experience anything above 189 in hiveOS has no effect unless you set it to above the minimum of your core clock and then it sets your core clock as static.

Not sure if i explained it good enough but this is all based on my experience and knowledge that i accumulated over the past few months.

1 Like

Hello Raz, thanks for the details. I totally agree with you, I’d prefer setting the clock to a static value, but for example in MSI Afterburner, it says that “signed values mean offset, unsigned values mean static”. I didn’t know about this, and thanks for the headsup. But how can i use these fixed values?
In Afterburner when I type directly “1150”, it converts to “+1150”, so it still uses offset.
In Hive, does the unsigned rule apply?

Thanks

I don’t usually use msi afterburner, however the following should produce the result you are looking for.

1. the following settingsmsi 1
  2. CTRL + F or
  3. Click a dot in the frequency curve and hold ALT to drag it to where you want it to be.
  4. You can lock the voltage by clicking on a point and CTRL L and if you want to unlock again.
    msi 3

once you are done, apply the setting and you should be good.

You need to find the right balance between your core frequency and voltage so that the card stable and performs as expected.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed reply Raz. I was unable to fix the CPU speed, it always jumps around 800 or 900mhz :expressionless: don’t know why, but something triggers dynamic mode.

Well if you set the voltage too low it will not have enough power to reach higher clock rates and that will have the same effect that you are experiencing.

Now you need to check one more thing that is to disable P2 state for the GPU, have look at this post and you should be able to perform this action. It will increase you hashrate by about 2 as well.

This might help for windows users
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELO6viH4WI

There a new bios for Nvidia Resizable bar which apparently overcomes the power limit issue

1 Like

Really anxious to see if this fixed it in Hive. Gonna try ASAP

WINDOWS: I can confirm this worked setting my card to 102.5MH fixed.
I have set -150core, +1150 mem and +102% PL in MSI Afterburner.

Nice, good to hear it finally worked!

Does this work in Hive mate?

EVGA FTW3: [94.02.26.48.88 ] »» This one fails to flash. It never finishes flashing? :expressionless:
I’ll try the other one

Same thing :frowning: What the hell? Something’s not working, maybe after recent Hive updates.

It seems to hang in EEPROM protection disable:

Stopping services
Unload modules successfull
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.692.0)
Copyright © 1993-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Adapter: GeForce RTX 3080 (10DE,2206,1462,3897) S:00,B:07,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (C2,2534) : MX MX25U8033E-MX25U8035F 1.65-2.0V 8192Kx1S, page

Setting EEPROM software protect setting…

Setting EEPROM protection complete.

And it hangs in here until reboot… Any ideas on this?

@Phk: can you please tell what is the exact version of your BIOS?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Shiretu, thanks for the reply, I got scared how no one replied to this and it’s not a common error.

Currently the card is running the SuprimX bios: 94.02.42.00.F9

I cannot go from this bios to the EVGA one :frowning_face:

For me it always works. I use windows and an extra card, so the flashed card is never used with a monitor

Yes but this happens on Hive, it’s a headless setup

I don’t believe the card driver modules can be unloaded from kernel, it keeps it locked forever after loading. That’s what prevents the flasher to work. One way is to tell hiveos not to load the nvidia drivers!? Not sure tho. Just boot off of a windows external driver, solve the VBIOS, boot back into hive. Take the working path, don’t lose time. :slight_smile:

It has never worked for me on hive if i flash a different bios on the card, always used windows to do this and it works everytime.

Not sure if it worked previously for others.

Yup, it did work every time, like back in March or so. Now It doesn’t.
I’ll just quit testing and use windows like shiretu mentioned. :frowning_face:

Hi @Phk ,

i own a msi 3080 gxt as well.
im only getting 88-89 mh/s @ 935 (abs clock) 600 mem, 0 PL (auto adjust by hive since its absolute clock)

may i know what settings did you use to achieve 95mh/s @ 209W?

thanks!