More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Pci and pch lanes

Hello,

I have a question about pci lanes and pch lanes. As far I understood pci are provided on the cpu and pch on the chipset.

I also understood this limit the number of gpus we can add on a board, one lane per gpu.

But there is some information I could not find anywhere : does the pci lane count add with pch lane count ?

In other world, if we have 16 pci lanes on the cpu, and 8 pch lane provided by the chipset, does it means we can at best manage 16+8=24 gpus ? (of course minus all the lanes used by other devices, audio, lan, sata, m2 …)

This question came to my mind because I have currently a msi z390 a pro running with 11 gpus, it does not work with 12 gpus (i guess i ran out of lanes).

I actually use the common cheap 1to4 splitter on the x16 (x16 pci lane) main video slot, and another 1to4 on the x16 (x4 pch lane) secondary slot of the motherboard.

I was wondering if plugging that 1to4 splitter on the x16 pci lane slot means that I’m “losing” 12 pci lanes that cannot be used anymore … the point is swapping it for the 1to6 splitter I just found : will it allow me to switch from 11 gpus to 13 gpus even if the system is currently saying i’m out of pci ressources ?

Many thanks for your advise.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.