More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Problem with my first rig

Hi everyone, I’m a little bit noobie in this whole world and finally get the courage to build my first rig.

I apologize in advance for the long story, but I’m not able to describe better the problem, for me, it’s very strange.

I’m having a lot of trouble setting up my rig. In the beginning, after setting up everything the system apparently goes well. I had installed 4 GPUs (1x1060 and 3x3060ti) all of them with risers. When I tried to install the last two 3070, the systems crash from nowhere. When I turn on the rig everything looks well but HiveOS don’t recognize and I even can’t get access through SSH and with a monitor.

So, because of the error, I tried to turn on the PC with the minimum components and test them (PSU + MB + CPU + RAM). This hasn’t gone well. The only thing I saw was a black screen. I can’t get access to the BOIS too. So the solution was to reinstall the BIOS. After doing this, I was able to access to BIOS and install HiveOS. Again, everything seems good. So I proceed and install the GPUs (all of them). The system start and just recognized 4 of them (1060 and 3x3060).

After reading the forum, I know that for those cards I need to change the PCI speed and enable 4G Decoding. So, I turn off the rig, and then when I turn it on again to make the changes, the problem appears again. Everything goes to black. The only solution was reinstalling the BIOS. I did that like two or three times but always after some time, the rig goes to black.

I really don’t know where the problem could be. In the begging, I was wondering if my motherboard, but without the GPUs, everything looks good. Then I thought that the HiveOS is messing with BIOS but this unlikely -and a little bit crazy-.

I will be glad if someone could give me some points to isolate the problem to fix it asap.

[Those are my components]

• Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming II
  • Athlon 3000G
  • 8Gb Ram
  • 1300W Seasonic PSU
  • 120Gb SSD
  • 1 x 1060 GPU
  • 3 x 3060 Ti GPU
  • 2 x 3070
  • 6 x risers

do you have the display hooked to the internal graphics or gpu?

[Update]

In the next few days, I will be trying those things.

1. Formatting the BOIS and the SSD again. To get a fresh install
  2. Following the BIOS setting from here and here
  3. Turning on and off the system sometimes without the GPUs to discard that the OS is causing the problem
  4. Test the graphic cars one by one without the risers to discard problems with the risers

But after doing this, if in the step 4 the problem happens again, I don’t know what to do next. Should I get a new motherboard?

Thanks!

When I install the GPUs don’t know which HDMI should I use. I tried with the internal one, but I suppose that this doesn’t work.

Because of my case, I haven’t access to GPUs HDMI ports. So I haven’t tried to connect to them.

if you need a monitor connected, use a gpus hdmi

What slots do you have your GPUs plugged into on the motherboard? The Athlon 3000G uses PCIE lanes for its igpu, which may affect the use of some of the PCIE ports. Check the B450-f manual?

Thanks, any GPU should work? Or there is a primary slot? I read in the manual that the first PCIE16 is like the “principal” but I don’t know what happens when two or more are connected.

Nevertheless, this doesn’t seem to be my problem because when I disconnect all the GPUs and use the internal one, I haven’t access and my BIOS seems to be broken (can’t access to bios too).

I used all six slots.
I’ve read the manual upside down a few times and didn’t find anything about Athlon 3000G limitations. What should I seek in the manual? What would you recommend? Change my CPU?
Thanks.

These screenshots are from the B450-F gaming, it looks like 3000G (with integrated graphics) may disable PCIE_X16_2.

Perhaps try booting your PC without anything in PCIE_X16_2.

From time to time I also find it helpful to go around my motherboard setting all PCIE modes to GEN1 as it can help compatibility (discussed at page 3-16 of the manual).

You could get an M2 riser for the M.2)1 socket and use that for your sixth graphics card - it is PCIE enabled even with 3000G installed.

You could also try a PCIE splitter instead. They can work well.

Thanks, @ASX_HAMMER_TIME for the response. I’m not taking into account those limitations.

But I’m wondering if this limitation could make my BOIS crash. That’s the part that I can’t figure out yet.

For now, I will configure my rig without using the PCIe_X16_2, while I look for a new riser and to give some stability to my rig.

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.