More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

PSU, PCI riser, and fried GPU

Trying to diagnosis an issue with a new rig. Purchased a 1200W plat PSU from a previous seller.

Connected the six pin from the PSU to the 6 to 8 splitter. One 8 (minus 2) into the PCI riser, the other 8 into the GPU.

On applying power, it popped several IC chips on the card. Fortunately it was a crappy test card. I removed the card leaving the riser empty, applied power again and this time it melted the splitter going into the riser. Lots of smoke and panic.

The PSU is an HP 1200W with a breakout board and 12 six pin connectors.

I contacted the seller of the PSU, and he said that the board couldn’t possibly over supply voltage.

Any thoughts on where to start looking? I don’t want to fry any of my production GPUs.

Have you got a multimeter?
You could check the rails.

I figured out what was going on.

I was going to check the wires as @machasm suggested and found that the splitter cable wiring didn’t match up with the other cables.

Instead of buying 6 pin to 6+2 splitters, I bought 8pin to 6+2 by mistake. Long story short, I was feeding voltage into a ground connection, creaing a short and failure.

Expensive lesson learned!

This splitter was probably for cpu not gpu, am i right? To power gpu 6+2 from cpu 4+4?

Yep, it was for a CPU.

I didn’t realize there was a difference as I am new to mining. I had searched for PCI splitter cables and bought the first one I saw. :man_facepalming:

Not only You, I also bought few of these :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 416 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.