More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Radeon PRO VII Coreclock not applied?

I recently got myself a Radeon PRO VII GPU and since I couldn’t figure out myself how to get a good (>90MH/s) Hashrate I am checking out HiveOS right now

My highest attempt has gotten me 86.5MH/s on teamredminer
I have added the block size parameters to /etc/default/grub:
dmesg | grep “drm.*block size” returns: [drm] vm size is 1024 GB, 3 levels, block size is 10-bit, fragment size is 9-bit

when booting I ran (manually for now since I am testing): amdmemtweak --ref 7500 --rtp 6 --rrds 3 --faw 12 --ras 19 --rc 30 --rcdrd 11 --rp 11
which replied
Successfully applied new REF, RTP, RRD, FAW, RAS, RC, RCDRD, RP, REF, RTP, RRD, FAW, RAS, RC, RCDRD, RP settings to GPU 0.

now the miner runs with 86.5 MH/s, the applied mode is C384 (earlier I had C4xx)
my problem is, that the Core and Mem Clocks don’t seem to be applied. I set them using the web interface of HiveOS and that created the amd-conf file. Whenever I run amd-oc (since it said applied but nothing happened I tried it manually) I get the following:

Detected 1 AMD cards

GPU BUS ID :   2d; CORE_CLOCK : 1600; CORE_VDDC  :  900; CORE_STATE :

MEM_CLOCK : 1050
MEM_STATE : ;MVDD :; VDDCI :;SOCCLK :;SOCVDDMAX :;REF :
FAN :; PL : 200; AGGRESSIVE =

=== GPU 0, 2d:00.0 Radeon Pro VII 16368 MB #0 === 15:06:47
Default Power Play settings from VBIOS for Vega20
**CORE Clock max: 0MHz**, Voltage: 737-1162mV SOC Clock:  972MHz, Voltage: 712-1100mV
MEMORY Clock def/max: 1000/0MHz, Voltage: 1200-1250mV, VDDCI: 650-850mV, TC: 0
POWER PL: 190W OV: -0%/+0%, TDC GFX: 330A, TDC SOC: 50A, TEMP Target: 95C
Warning! No core clock is set or out of range (> 0MHz) - using fail safe 1600MHz
Applying OC via SysFS API
Setting CORE: 1600MHz@900mV MEM: 1050MHz
/hive/sbin/amd-oc.navi.sh: line 30: echo: write error: Invalid argument
Setting Fan speed set to Auto (HW)

In teamredminer and in /sys/class/drm/…/ the Coreclock does not change which fits the outputs of the program.
Therefore my question is: What am I doing wrong? or better What can I do to overclock my Radeon PRO VII GPU?

the installed driver is 20.40 according to hive’s website. (btw if you have enourmous knowledge it would be awesome if you could tell me where I can check the used driver version on system but that’s unrelated)

Update 1:
ok I found out that the line 30 error is my fault
→ the/ my card has a power_cap_max of 190 and I set 200 online, I can increase that value with upp but default value is 190 so that was causing the error in line 30 of amd-oc.navi.sh

when removing the powerlimit, it still doesn’t work though
I found out that everytime I run amd-of the three lines

[ 885.523732] amdgpu: [powerplay] Sclk min/max frequency overdrive not supported
[ 885.523884] amdgpu: [powerplay] Mclk max frequency overdrive not supported
[ 885.523921] amdgpu: [powerplay] Voltage curve calibrate not supported

are added to dmesg
so apparently overclocking isn’t supported here (maybe with different driver? gotta find out how to control the drivers with Hive). I found comments hinting at the missing OC support in other threads already
on the other hand a user in this thread (Radeon Pro VII - #18 by criceto) said he gets 94 MH/s with that GPU

therefore I have no clue what is true and what isn’t
By my understanding there are two ways of overclocking AMD GPUs

1. is by sending "s " commands to the pp_od_clk_voltage file (or using a tool that does the same like ohgodatool for old gpus, still have to figure out if the wolfamdtoolthingy does the same as well). this file is broken though (only contains one line)
    → this means that I have no idea which voltages to send to the pp_od file and therefore I haven’t tried that yet
  2. is using upp to edit the pp_table which - in my experience is really hard and often doesn’t work

so yeah… I guess I will have to try to find a way to get this annoying blue brick overclocked…
if you stumble across this post and know something, PLEASE tell me

Radeon Pro VII some overclocking settings is locked by software

Need help? Send me PM and we will find solution to your GPU

send details of your rig to Hive support email [email protected] they will inform devs

Hi,
I am interested if You can help me please with the amd vii pro.
Thanks

Sure. Send me rig details in DM.

Hi,
Hiveos: 0.6-210@210918
Kernel: 5.10.0-hiveos #60
Drivers: A20.40 (5.11.0825)
Card: Radeon VII PRO
Radeon Pro VII 16368 MB · AMD/ATI
Samsung HBM2 · 113-D1640600-104
I am able to achieve stable 89mhash on eth but overclock settings are just not applied, thus it draws to much power.
Thanks

Hello! Have same problems, I try to change any parameters like core, memory. It’s don’t make any changes
Please help me with that issues

Some overclocking functionality on this GPU is locked. Fortunately it’s’ locked only by software and so it can be unlocked.
Yesterday my colleague bought such GPU so I may look on it closer.
And naturally unlock of this GPU will be available in Hive for all owners. Please be a little patient.

2 Likes

In the end I managed to find the solution

1 Like

Hello! How I can contact with u? Please help me with that

Send me Your bios and I can unlock it for You

Hello, can you help me with This card?

Sure, send me Your email and I can send You the bios file

Dear, please send to
[email protected]

Here it is,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DP8QoWlEuLTm-WM_Ll13MRI7gglB5y9F/view?usp=sharing

Hi. I’m trying to flash my Radeon pro vii with you mod bios and teamred miner doesn’t recognize my card after reboot (dead). Nanominer works with this card, but with low hashrate (77 mnhs). Maybe you can help me? What a miner and settings you are using? Sorry for my English))

Hi, please send the settings for this card, thanks.
[email protected]

Hi. Send me, please, settings for this card. Thank you. [email protected]

hi, have you solved the problem?