More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Rig total freeze, requires power reset

Hey guys,

I’ve been having the same issue for over 2 weeks.
I’m on a ryzen 3 1200 and msi pro gaming max b450.
I have been switching risers, ocs, checking logs, reinstalling hive etc. with no good results.
I’m trying the cpu overclock solution right now. Does anyone know if there is a specific voltage that I should try for this CPU?

Thanks and have a good day

I have ran my rig without a single freeze for months. 2 days ago i swapped my processor from ryzen 7 3700x to r5 1600 and now im constantly freezin, just like described in this thread. Im inclined to believe it’s processor/mb related. Trying those bios changes now. Could’t do manual overclocks for some reason. Seems like multiplier is locked and could’t even increase voltage. Just enable some auto oc profile for now.

r5 1600
asus rog strix b-450 gaming f II
8gb 2889 memory
ssd
four cards on risers
1500w power.

I had the same issue. Changed to Gminer and absolute clock. Now stable

I think I figure this problem out. On usb or cheap ssd drives every time you update hiveos or make lots of changes to the rig settings something causes hiveos to get corrupted. Add 2 new cards to my rig 4 days ago and have been dealing with Hive just randomly freezing. Got so sick of dealing with it I decided to go with a fresh set up. This went great until I updated hiveos and thing started freezing again. It is crazy I could go 2 hour or 18 hours then it freezes. Loaded a fresh copy on my usb and it seems stable. If I make to many oc changes or update Hiveos things go to crap. Once I update to a higher quality ssd drive I haven’t had a problems. From everything I have test it comes down to hiveos updates or major rig changes on cheaper OS drives, mostly usb drives.

Not sure if you have solved this , I noticed you mentioned that you had no monitor connected, I had the exact same issue except i had a monitor connected, the rig would run fine until I turned the monitor off and then it would freeze, as long as the monitor was on, it would run fine.

at first I thought it was ram, I had cheap ram that i got off facebook market place, 1 of the sticks failed a memtest and i was running usb stick that had always been slow from day 1, bought 2x 8gb of ddr4 and replaced the usb with a samsung ssd, made a huge difference in boot time and updates and installing miners, was slow as all hell before, but sure enough when i got up in the morning it had frozen again, going by the time on the screen it was not long after i turned the screen off.

This issue happens for me as well. I have Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ and from time to time, I lose internet connection and rig freezes. The moment I unplug ethernet cable from the rig, I recover internet on my main PC, but I have to manually reboot the rig.

I have followed also this tutorial, but nothing:

Let´s see how long it lasts now, this is just a pain in the a$$.

Still hapenning… zzzzzzzzzz

Same issue as a lot of you guys. Just total freeze ups happening sporadically with hard power reset the only cure.

Running gminer with 7x6800 XTs
Motherboard: Asus B450-F Gaming II
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Now. I have Two of these rigs. Identical cards, identical in all other ways in terms of the hardware. EXCEPT the memory, which is premium Corsair DIMM on the one that doesn’t freeze, and cheaper Vengeance LPX DIMM on the one that does. The memory is the ONLY difference between these two rigs. BIOS settings and version, overclocks on the cards, everything else is the same. So… seems to me at this point that swapping out the memory is the first thing I should try.

I also have an NVIDIA rig with the same base hardware, and that kept freezing up too, and it also had the Vengeance LPX memory, until I swapped out the memory DIMM, and since then it has been working flawlessly for weeks.

I’ve just swapped out the DIMM for the same type as is working in those other rigs and will post back here in a few days to let you know if that fixed it.

1 Like

Ok good luck keep us posted :smiley:

Sorry to report I’ve already had my first freeze-up with the new memory. Sigh.

Hi again. It looks like I was able to fix the whatever issue I had. I just have now, from time to time, every few hours, miner reset, but that´s just a matter of seconds and it continues mining.

I originally had 10 GPUs (6 x Nvidia + 4 x AMD) and I splitted them in 2 rigs. 6 Nvidia one rig and 4 AMD the other rig, with another Vega56 I had there alone.

So far so good, no freezes, so I guess, somehow, H110 Pro Btc+ have issues managing so many GPUs or something like that, because having enough PSU power, 8 RAM, SSD, good overclocks… there´s no way it was a bad configuration issue.

So… yeah, I guess I will just stick to 5-6 GPU rigs Max.

Cheers!

well I spoke to soon , it wasn’t the monitor after all , i’m just about to try a different os, I really do like using hive os, my marriage is on the line here, I cbf listening to the mrs when this fails to be productive and she says " I told you so " I just can’t afford to have the 5 hour unnoticed outages, I haven’t been able to get a solid 24 hr run in 3 weeks

maybe it’s the combination of amd and nvidia, might have to keep them separate , Wow this is the perfect excuse i can use to convince the mrs that i need to build a second rig asap … lol

There was a post on redit, apparently it’s the am3 socket motherboards that suffer from this issue.

it just happens to be the board that i’m using.

Another post suggested that it was the mem overclock settings that cause it, a few people who were having this issue set their mem clock to default and they reported back with 7 day uptime after that , no real right or wrong answer , what might fix someone’s problem might not work for others.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the network driver in my case because the os locks up, I can’t type, I can only highlight lines with the mouse .

can you type when it happens?

Slinkywizard
what about these silicone gods I keep hearing about , I thought that you can’t compare 2 motherboards because they will always have some differences in the way they were made?

Nah it was totally frozen, but I solved it as I said previous post =)

I guess Nvidia + AMD is not a good idea for the H110 Pro BTC + at least. I will try though to put 13 total Gpus (All NVIDIA) and test if rig stays stable.

I’ve stopped my rig freezing and it’s been going for a solid 20 hours so far – previously it was freezing every 5-6 hours. I will post a shot of the BIOS settings I changed at the weekend provided no more freezing.

My setup is Asus B450-F Gaming II mobo, Ryzen 5 1600. Which is the same as a lot of other people in this thread with freezing issues. Hopefully I’ve solved it. We shall see.

1 Like

What a relief no freezes since I apparently fixed it … :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Okay. Well into second day with no freezes, so here are the settings I changed if you have an Asus B450-F, Ryzen 5 1600. With other CPUs and mobos it will at least give you a direction to start looking.

The primary issue seems to be variable CPU clock speeds or ‘boost mode’. So the number one fix here is turning that off and assigning the CPU its native clock speed only. Which in the case of the Ryzen 5 1600 is 3.2Ghz.

Here are all the settings. Some may be unnecessary, but the combination of all of these is what fixed the freezing issue for me.

3 Likes

Hi, Im with same issue and read all threads and notice a lot people with Ryzen 5 1600 like my frozen rig, mobo A320M-S2H Gigabyte.
Next weak I`ll try to change the set Mob + CPU, maybe, who knows.

It does happen to me too, every 6 hours or sometimes 10 hours or sometime 12 hours, i am quite sure its not the risers or the configuration or overclocks. I have been reading here about the BIOS, perhaps the motherboard gets hot ? or the cpu become problematic ? first of all i will buy a smart plug to reset anytime. The biggest problem is it frezee the entire rig, mouse not working key board not working nothing working