I tried flashing an updated bios to my Gigabyte RX 5700 XT OC 8GB and ended up being bricked. See below for further details.
- How do I restore the original bios? I’ve seen instructions from this video to run the AMDVBFLASH in DOS and try to restore that way. I haven’t given it a try yet, but I am thinking this is my first step to restore the bios. Please let me know if there’s a different way to restore bios or if there’s a plan b in case the AMDVBFlash doesn’t work.
- Is there anything special or different on how to flash an updated bios on the Gigabyte OC 8GB version than other versions of the 5700 xt? What’s the right way to flash the bios to get it to work for this card?
Steps I took to flash bios:
- Download original bios from VBios in Hive
- Download Red Bios Editor from Igor Labs
- Load the original bios and edit VRAM timing straps by copying 1550 to 1800 and higher. This card only has one memory type.
- Flash bios in Hive using updated rom file and with force flashing ignoring security checking enabled
- Restart the rig
- System would not reboot. System went to black screen.
Motherboard: Asus Z390-P
RAM: 2x CORSAIR ValueSelect 4GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX4M1A2133C15
SSD: Team Group GX1 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) T253X1120G0C101
CPU: i5 9400
Drivers: A - OpenCL 20.40 N - 455.45.01
GPUs: 2x RTX 3070; 1x RX 5700 XT (system worked fine with the two 3070s running; added the RX 5700 then stopped working after bios mod)