More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Unable to properly set power limit of MSI RTX 3080

omg thatā€™s really a bug. You PLā€™d at 150 and itā€™s locked at 214 :rofl:
Iā€™ll try that, thanks

So yeah, i found it super weird that i had to put pl150.
But it worked for me in phoenix and t-rex. Nothing else would work. I saw a ton of people on youtube showing this ā€œfixā€.

Also, if you do any overclocks on the card in the rig the msi card with the 150 pl will start going crazy. So after you change anything, even the fan %, reboot the rig.

I didnt set a time before the oc is applied, it worked for me

Yeah, it was stuck at 200 flat before, i even tried flashing the suprim bios, nothing helped

nop, canā€™t make that work. Setting 150PL makes card work at 150W even after reboot.
The behaviour though, is erratic. If I use 800mem, the PL works. If I use 1600mem, the PL works too.
Any other mem value locks the PL to 209.
Did anyone try thermal pads on these cards?

Itā€™s actually not thermal limiting.
You can check it by nvidia-smi -q
Its some BIOS lock or BIOS bug.

Have tried the 94.02.42.00.FB BIOS with and without 150 PL and it does not worked for me.
Core stuck at ~400-500 MHz and it performs horrible.

Hi there. I have other cards that were not thermal limiting, however jumped to 95+MH after applying better pads (gigabyte and asus).
However, on strange thing. These two MSI cards I have, perform with 205W at 95MH and 91MH. But they produce more shares in ethash than any other card at 97-99MH. This canā€™t be a coincidence, somehow these cards outperform the others even with lower hashrate. And no, none have rejected shares.

Any ideas?

Ok forget about this, after running for 2 days, the share rate is proporcional to the hashrate.
There is still no way to push the ā€œMSI Gaming X Trioā€ power to more than 210w.

@jano28 do you have exactly ā€œmsi gaming x trio 3080ā€ ?

Check this

Basically the same as I said. Works OK with EVGA bios, but its strange that why it pulls most of the power from #1 8-pin. I noticed this behavior too. With my Strix, load is split nicely between the 3x8 pins. Maybe improper VRM design. Maybe memory chips use the #1 8-pin and when you push them hard it hits the limit. That would explains the power limit thing.

1 Like

Successfully raise the hashrate to 100 on the MSI Gaming X Trio?

Pit

Use EVGA XC3 bios as you can read in the topic.

Iā€™m trying, and I have switched VBIOSes a few times, but currently Iā€™m having a hang in the process.

It stays forever like this:

Stopping services
Unload modules successfull
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.692.0)
Copyright Ā© 1993-2021, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Adapter: GeForce RTX 3080 (10DE,2206,1462,3897) S:00,B:07,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (C2,2534) : MX MX25U8033E-MX25U8035F 1.65-2.0V 8192Kx1S, page

Setting EEPROM software protect settingā€¦

Setting EEPROM protection complete.

Any ideas on what it might be ? Thanks

any ideas on how i can make this more efficient seems like its stuck at 30-35 dollars a day profit

i can confirm that Asus rog strix 3080 oc bios works perfect, watt usage is misleading.
can go all way up to 105mh on hiveos, can still touch the backplate

1 Like

Hi,
So you can use this bios on the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 SUPRIM X 10GB?

only ask as ive just bought one :-))

cheers

Suprim doesnā€™t have the powersensors bug. Just pad it and enjoy

Awesome Thx :slightly_smiling_face:

1100 core 2400 mem 0 pl 110 wat 61.50mh low heat

Hey man
Is that a stock bios that youre using msi 3080 to get 100 mhs?