More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

Why with a higer hashrate, I don't get more valid shares?

Hello, newbie miner here! I was wondering why with a higher hash rate, I am not necessarily getting more valid shares? For that first run, I was having around 160mh/s and for that second part I was running at around 190mh/s, but the number of valid shares from both attempts seems to be the same.

It even seems that I am getting fewer shares with a higher hashrate.

I only have a few stale shares ~1% and no rejected shares.

Does anyone know why it might be doing this?

Hiveon pool uses variable difficulty.

Mining Pools set a Share Difficulty for every miner. Based on your hashrate, Mining Pools set how hard it is to submit a share to them. The higher the hashrate, the higher the Share Difficulty. When miners are grinding through hashes, they will eventually find a hash that meets the target Share Difficulty, then they send it to their Mining Pool.

In a PPS payment method, miners get rewarded by a mining pool for shares they submit. The shares they submit have different values based on how difficult it was to find the share. Miners get credited based on the set Share Difficulty from the Mining Pool not the actual share difficulty.

Currently, Hiveon initial difficulty is 5000MH. After receiving a certain amount of shares during handshake period , the pool determines what difficulty will be most optimal for a given worker. This ensures an even rate of transfer of the shares, less load for the server and less stale shares for the client.

Example

• Let’s say you are mining at 50 MH/s and the Mining Pool sets your Share Difficulty at 1,250. You get credited by the pool for all shares that are above 1,250
  • If you then increase your hashrate to 100 MH/s, the pool will change your Share Difficulty so that you aren’t submitting shares too quickly. If your pool increases your Share Difficulty to 2,500, then you will submit shares at the same speed you previously were, but you will receive two times as much revenue from the pool for the shares you do submit.
7 Likes

Hello and thank you for the reply.
So in certain instances, it’s more profitable to split your miners and have them work with lower difficulty shares than regrouping them together in order to have more power at once?

No, splitting will not affect to profitability.
Let’s explain on simple example how it’s works.
This can be compared, for example, with the fact that let’s say there is a job for which you are paid 50 cents and you make 10 units of production per hour and get $5 in total. And there is work on the manufacture of more complex products for which they pay $1, but for an hour you make 5 units and in the end you still get $5 )
Hope now you understand how it’s affected to profitability.

Continuing the association, we simply add to this that the pool determines how diffilcult the work can be entrusted to this or that client. Payment naturally depends on the diffilculty of the work.
But as a result, everyone here has pluses:

• the server will not be overloaded with processing requests from very powerful workers who will bombard it with simple solutions.
  • weak workers get simpler jobs, which means they can find and send them faster, thereby reducing the likelihood of being late with the solution (read how to reduce the percentage of the stale shares rate).
  • and perhaps one more point that I mentioned earlier, although it comes as a consequence. The smaller the stale shares rate from the client and the higher the overall purity of the shares and the higher the likelihood of finding a block, not an uncle, and hence the higher the overall profitability.
3 Likes

Hello, thank you for the reply again.
I did understand that more powerful machines get more difficult jobs because they have more hashing power to get through them. As a consequence, they are paid more.
I should probably clarify my situation with a picture.

This is an evolution of my rig performance each time I tweaked my settings to give me more hash rate. The reported one went from 159 to 197. But as you can see on the graphic below, I am getting around the same amount of shares when I was at 159 mh/s or 197 mh/s.

Since we are getting paid by shares, there is no incentive for me to dedicated 197 mh/s of my hashing power since I could get the same amount of valid shares at 159 mh/s, thus saving on my electricity cost, and reducing the thermals of my cards.

Or… do you mean by if I submit the same amount of shares but since the difficulty is higher, my higher difficulty shares are worth more? And at the end getting more ETH although I submit as much shares as before?
Ohh, I think I understand now^

So no matter how powerful is the machine, we would only get around ~250-300 shares per hour because then the difficulty increases?

Yes

Not exactly. Some additional explanation I guess needed
Difficulty is related to the hashrate power of the rig and at the same time the difficulty cannot be arbitrary (it changes 5000/2500/1250 downwards). For example, the difficlty of 2500MH can be agreed to get a rig with 120 MH/s and a rig with 200MH/s (figures are only for example), with this number of shares, of course, will be different, but the difficulty will be the same for two rigs)

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all your answers!
So in this case, I can assume that the difficulty of my shares has increased each time I have increased my hash rate?

Another question, sorry haha… :sweat_smile: How does hiveon calculate “Expected earnings /day”? Mine seems to fluctuate quite a lot between 0.008 to 0.012 eth. Is there a way how much ETH you have earned per day? In the payout tab it shows the ETH earned every hour but it is not really practical to compare for each day.
I am only using the pool and not the OS, but can I somehow link my worker to my account so I get more infos?

I would say that this is all very approximate, while the Ethereum network is very dependent on the size of the commissions on the network. If the number of resolved blocks is amenable to a mathematical calculation, then the transaction fees included in the blocks are very changeable and very dependent on the movements of the Ethereum price. Therefore, the calculation of income is significantly different and may change every hour or even half-hour.
Also it depends on typical Forex metrics - day of the week, working day or weekend, time of day
Find such chart for you (applicable for today)

This earnings calculation for 1 GH/s in ETH

2 Likes

Hello! I am encountering a new situation here.
From what I’ve found, Hiveos use 1.25, 2.5 and 5g difficulty shares.
Now my miner reports that sometimes my rig will switch between 2.5 and 5g difficulty, is this behaviour normal?

To be exactly 5G it’s a start difficulty which set by pool on start.
After some shares sent by worker, pool calculates which difficylty will be best for worker and set calculated difficulty. And yes it’s can be 1.25G or 2.5G. For very strong worker it’s can be 5G or even higher than 5G (it’s really hashrate monster)
During mining there can be situation when worker, especially at the border of hashrates corresponding to difficulty, the pool can change the diff, for example from 1.25G to 2.5G and than to 1.25G again.
Since at a certain point in time more solutions can be sent to the pool and, accordingly, the accepted hashrate will be slightly higher than the real hashrate. The same works the other way around.
So it’s normal in general.

It’s not accurate and just my assumption and just for example
50-150 1.25G
150-250 2.5G
250-500 5G

3 Likes

So, With that in mind would it be better to split the miner and use a lower hash rate? I am at 600mh and when I start mining I am getting a projected .035 eth/day. Within 24hrs it shows <.025 eth/day. I have tried going to other pools but it seems consistent.

I somewhat have a feeling that a lower hashrate rig with easier shares is getting more ETH than higher difficulty shares.

1 Like

You can nothing with it
New miners => Raising network => Raising difficulty => Lower income
Additionally: Lower activity on weekends => Lower transactions => Lower reward

Calculate on WhatToMine for your 600MH/s

Please note there are no words about pools - it’s general calculations

Thanks for your reply. I have used 3 different calculation site and you are correct. Just disapointing when you see one amount when starting and then it drops.

If you bought a cake and are going to eat it alone, then you will eat a whole cake, if you eat with your family, then you will get a piece of cake, but imagine that your whole city will eat it with you. This will probably be fun, but you only get the cake crumbs. So in mining)))

1 Like

You seem well informed. I have a question on the MEV that the pools are using to make extra coin. Is hiveos using it and are they sharing that with the miners?

hiveos no
hiveon yes

1 Like

Wow, I will find you for answers. I dont have Telegram on unless im in support so I didn’t see this announcement. Thanks again.

Based on your hashrate, Mining Pools set how hard it is to submit a share to them. The higher the hashrate, the higher the Share Difficulty. … Miners get credited based on the set Share Difficulty from the Mining Pool not the actual share difficulty.

hey halo. A bit ot, but how to determine differences between different pools, like valid shares , hashrate fluctuation…iv noticed that in one other pool my hashrate is more stable in stats than in hiveon pool…just few ttps what to pay attention when choosing a pool. Thanks…edit…or is there any difference other than fee and payout treshold…?