More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

First rig - 3090 + 3060

Hi guys,

new to mining, just set up my first rig and after a bit of OC this is how it’s running. I still have 2 x 3060 and 1 x 3070 to load, hopefully later today or tomorrow.

What do you think about the current settings and temps in terms of performance vs long term reliability? Any recommendations? Looking to improve the cooling, so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

2 Likes

How’s stability since you posted 6 days ago?

What’s your PSU setup with that many 3090s?

The rig is super stable, I got a few more GPUs now, 3 x 3090 coming tomorrow and Monday.

IMG_4246

1 Like

Hey Mate, pretty nice and optimized rig. Can you Tell me which miner you use? I use Phoenix Miner and my 3090 only gets 110 mhs and is running at 63C which is too hot for me.

I’m on Sparkpool with T-Rex miner.

Do you have any tips for me? My setup looks like this and the temps and fans are going crazy. I already installed fans behind the gpus.

1 Like

Nobody? :frowning:

Disable autofan and set the fan speeds manually to 85% to start with, then fine tune from there, it fluctuates depending on ambient temperature, difficulty of the algo etc. Leave few minutes in between until it stabilises itself under 45-47C for each GPU. If you can’t get to these values, you need better cooling.

Another upgrade today, no more 3060 :slight_smile:

nice to see the progress of your build through the thread :slight_smile: i am looking at building a good mining rig soon would you mind sharing your parts list for the build ,cables used ,psu’s etc …please i would like to try to emulate your build if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, see below:

1 x GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master 6x SATA III DDR4-3200 PCIe 4.0 Motherboard
3 x Kolink PCI-E 1x to Quad 16 x Quad Mining / Upgrade GPU Adapter
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
1 x Team Group XTREEM RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - RGB
7 x Ek Water Blocks EK-Vardar X3M 120mm DIgital-RGB (500-2200 rpm) Fan - White
1 x Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 64 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-76E500B/EU)
1 x Veddha Aluminum 8 GPU Mining Rig Case Open Air Frame Stackable Ethereum
2 x 8Pcs VER009S PCI-E Riser Card PCIe 1x to 16x USB 3.0 Data Cable Bitcoin Mining
3 x Artic Gold+ 1300W PSU

GPUs:
5 x Nvidia 3900 FE
3 x Nvidia 3090 Palit
1 x Nividia 3090 Zotac

more on order.

I will start taking the cards apart and replace the thermal pads when I get some time, hopefully this week / weekend. New aircon unit fitted on Thursday, above the rig, so that should help with the cooling, I like keeping the temps under 50C.

updated screenshot below:

1 Like

Small updated, changed the thermal pads on one of the 3090 FE and one Palit, both were throttling, now they’re running well. Rubbish quality pads originally on the GPUs :neutral_face:

Some before and after pics below, these are for the 3090 FE:

ORIGINAL PADS:

PADS REPLACED:

1 Like

Also fixed the CPU temp that wasn’t displayed before, using the zenpower module - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor on a X570 AORUS MASTER Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. (F33a 01/22/2021) motherboard

sudo apt install dkms git build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
cd ~
git clone https://github.com/ocerman/zenpower.git
cd zenpower
sudo make dkms-install

sudo modprobe -r k10temp
sudo bash -c ‘sudo echo -e “\n# replaced with zenpower\nblacklist k10temp” >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf’
sudo modprobe zenpower

nano /hive/sbin/cpu-temp
and change:
local test=$(cat /sys/class/hwmon/${HWMON}/name | grep -c -E ‘coretemp|k10temp’)
to
local test=$(cat /sys/class/hwmon/${HWMON}/name | grep -c -E ‘coretemp|k10temp|zenpower’)
ctrl +x to save end exit.

Refresh the browser window, should be able to see the CPU temp.

2 Likes

Some Palit 3090 thermal pads change pics, before and after:

Pads and paste used:

Will be changing the thermal pads a core paste on all of the remaining Palit GPUs next.

2 more 3090 done, replaced the pads and paste, will add some pics a bit later, gain 20-30MH as they’re running colder and not throttling anymore.

I’ve also replaced the CPU fan and starting mining monero with the CPU. Not terribly profitable, but might as well leave it there running. 25C-30C drop in CPU temperature with the new cooler,

New CPU fan/cooler pics.

Another 3090 Palit done, replaced the thermal pads and core paste, running perfectly now with no throttling in the last 12 hrs and OC settings pushed to the max.

And a 3090 FE also done as above. It’s unbelievable how well the GPU is designed and how low quality the thermal pads are.

Some rig pics. The room is cooled by AC, constantly at 17C, the 2 tower fans help greatly by sucking the cold air and blowing it onto the GPUs.

1 Like

Hi why are you using Sparkpool? The 3060 ti Gigabyte is set to 2900, not a way to much?