More
referral
Increase your income with Hive. Invite your friends and earn real cryptocurrency!

RTX 3070 ti not recognized in HiveOS or nvidia-settings

added a new 3070ti, HiveOS boots ok and shows 3 GPUs, the web account shows the 3070ti, but I get errors stating the GPU is unrecognized. Also, nvidia-settings do not show it. Here is what I see:

If I only plug in the 3070ti, I see HiveOS load, but the X never starts, probably because nvidia driver cannot see it. I am running an Asius Z490-A Prime and I updated its BIOS to it’s latest firmware.

I tried a live ubuntu image and installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and the OS is able to boot with only the 3070ti, but it only sees it as a generic display, and nvidia-detect does not detect a nvidia display.

I have tried pheonixminer and t-rex just in case, same issue.

Any thoughts?

Try updating your Nvidia drivers:

Thank you! Of course, I was overthinking it. I thought HiveOS had the latest drivers. Looking into it, they do not. Their nvidia-driver-update tool is excellent for taking care of the update process, so no need to deal with downloading the run file, going down init runlevels or rebooting. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new 3070 Ti !!!

So, did it work with the latest drivers then? If yes, can you share some hashrates with it? Preferably, ETH, ERGO and RVN.

Thanks!

Hello - I am also encountering a similar issue with my MSI 3070 Ti and curious to know if the driver update worked. Any updates would be appreciated.

Yes, running nvidia-driver-update (the HiveOS script you will need to run from the terminal. No need to download anything, just open a new tab in the terminal and type nvidia-driver-update) successfully updated the drivers, and once I rebooted, my 3070ti was up and running. I later found through my research that HiveOS defaults to an older version of the nvidia drivers, which you can see through your farm’s web account.

I now have 1 x EVGA XC3 3070, 1 x TUF Gaming 3070, and 1 x Asus 3070ti ROG Strix. I camped outside Micro Center once a month to get each one, and when I went on 3070ti launch day, that is all they had…I really wanted either another 3070 or a 3080ti, but what can you do…

It is a shame how much wattage this card takes. Even though I am only giving it 200W, it is still devouring more. Of course, it also is a shame there is a hash limiter in the card. I was on the cusp of selling the card, but any hash rate is better than 0 hash rate, and I will still make ROI, just a lot later. I am hopeful that the community will be able to patch through the limiter and unlock the card’s potential.

Here is a screenshot of ETH on PhoenixMiner:

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of my farm, showing my current OC settings:

Since there is no info on what OC settings to run the 3070ti on, I am still experimenting, but feel it is getting pretty much dialed in. I also have to figure out if I can really underrun the 3070ti due to the limiter. Will update how low I can get it.

Also switched to trex due to invalid shares, getting ~96.5% over several days. trex seems to be much better. I am also surprised how the twin fan TUF Gaming card does so much better than the EVGA card…The 3070ti card has never gotten an invalid share yet. I am assuming due to the hash limiter…

I am aware that there are some algos that are not limited, so probably after EIP 1559 I will explore options…if no one is able to get around the limiter that is…(crossing fingers).

Will try some RVN, CCX, BEAM, and ERGO shortly as well.

oc setting wrong for 3070 should be
core 1150
mem 2500
pl 130

Thank you so much @vikassonu
I tweaked the settings a little, but you put me on the path to a MUCH lower wattage. I went from ~700W to ~530W (I also mine monero with the CPU so ~100W goes to it, so it is ~430W without the monero mining.

I figured out the 3070ti oc settings as well.

I will keep dialing in. It looks like trex is also doing a better job than PhoenixMiner.

Hello, this thread was extremly useful as I just plugged in a 3070ti and also wound up needing to update the nVidia drivers to get the card to detect correctly.

I wanted to ask about your last OC screenshot. Looks like the Power Level is set to 270, but the watts used is 138 - that’s a weird discrepency, I’ve found cards usualy are much close to the max threshold set.

Have these settings been stable for you on the 3070ti? And if so is the power staying at 138 despite your max settings? I have the evga version and it looks like mine is hovering at about 150w with these OC settings - even though I left my power level at 270 max.

I may look into that regular 3070 setting as well. You seem to be doing better with lower watts and a higher core and mem setting…those setting seem pretty high, I have to say - am I causing extra wear on the card by going that high? mine are set to the following and getting just over 60mh/s

-100 core
2200 mem
130w

It’s because of the absolute core clock. Truth be told, if you use an absolute core clock value, you don’t need to power limit, as you can see from all his cards, they just use what they need and nothing more, the core clock takes care of it for you. The big benefit to the core clock is, should the card require more power for any reason, it can draw it for a short time since it’s not limited.

My 3070 settings
1070 core
2500 mem
90 fan
116w avg per card

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of that benefit of absolute core clock…with the 3070 settings you listed what mh/s are you getting?

@krynsky glad this thread has been useful to you. Here is what I am now using for my settings:

The cards are running much lower temps.
As you can see, this is ~6 days of run time and only 11 invalid shares.
I also notice I do not get random reboots like I used to.

Here is what I am getting on t-rex:

tyvm - you think this has helped with temprature as well? I have a horrible gigabyte 3080 card with just the worst thermals. I haven’t upgraded that rig to the latest hive but if there’s evidence temps go down as well I may do so.

My hash rates with my settings listed above.

Stable. As you can see some cards have gone down to 2450 or so, those cards were throwing 1 invalid every 24 hours at 2500 mem.

i updated my driver and the card still wont register help

I do not think updating to the latest Hive will get you better thermals. What you need to do is replace those pads my friend. Here is a nice video that explains with a Gigabyte 3080 no less! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFMbE41R7Fg

While it is true that your thermals MAY go down after a software update, the real gains you will make is:

1. underclocking
  2. thermal pad replacement

Hope you get some great results!

Make sure that you actually update your nvidia driver. You do this by opening another terminal tab in HiveOS and running:
nvidia-driver-update

similar issues i have. the hiveos show only the ID of the card but no other information like ram and version of it